Saturday, December 6, 2008

Made to Worship

Sorry, I'm a little behind on blogging...

I started to write this on Saturday and then never finished...

I had my piano recital last Friday night, and though not perfect, it was lovely. =)

Five weeks or so ago my piano teacher decided it was time to start preparing for my Christmas recital. She gave me two music options... An short easy piece and a long, hard piece. If you know me well, you'll know I didn't even glance and the easy piece. I guess I'm sort of a go-getter, not to mention perfectionist. But that's another post...

So anyway, I took the piece section by section and quickly learned most of it. Except this one little section that had five flats... Somehow I just couldn't play it. I messed with that part of the piece in a couple different keys and finally settled on asking my teacher if I could play it in D, since that was what the rest of my piece was in anyway. She agreed and so the plan was that I would play the whole piece for her, next lesson (which was just a couple days before my recital...). Of course on that very important lesson, my piano books got left at home... Which I think I've only done ONE other time in my whole history of taking piano lessons. Nice timing, huh?

I continued to practice all week and got really nervous since my teacher hadn't even heard the whole thing yet. And one night as I was somewhat tired and stumbling through the piece, God started whispering in my ear. He reminded me that this piece wasn't about me, it was about him. And you think I would have remembered that considering I was playing a version of Away in the Manger (it's the prettiest arrangement I've ever heard, sorta modernised but BEAUTIFUL). After that, when I was playing for Jesus, it sounded completely different.

So the night of the recital came, and I was all ready, or so I thought I was...
We arrived early so that I could play for my teacher at least once before I played, since of course she hadn't heard the whole piece.
I sat down at the piano, way to confident in my self may I add, and I botched up the whole piece. I made mistakes every other note at least.... It sounded terrible. Yeah... sort of a rough start.

After being gently reminded by my mother God helped me put my focus back on Him, and after that, the night was wonderful. =) Including my piano piece.

Though it is so easy to forget, God made us to worship him, and Friday night was definitely a cool reminder for me. Especially with the Christmas season we're in right now, it's so easy to forget what it is all truly about... Even it it's something like buying gifts for others. It seems like such a good thing to do, because people will appreciate what we have done. But Christmas is not about what we have done, but what He has done. May God bless you abundantly as you worship Him this Christmas season!

Caroline Ann

No comments: