Monday, October 20, 2008

What kind of big sister am I?

Over the summer I have really tried to build better relationships with my siblings, and it's come a long way. Recently, in the past couple weeks or so, I've been more focused on trying to make them feel loved. I'm finding it doesn't take grand schemes and huge surprises (though I'm sure those are nice too.) the little things in life count for a lot.
Anyway, so I'd really been thinking about this the past couple weeks and have tried really hard to do things like, listen to Kate when she wants to tell me about some book she is reading, or movie she watched. Or complement Wyatt on something he's done really well. I'm finding it's gone a long way.
Just a couple minutes ago, I walked past Wyatt (who was laying in the hallway reading, since Jefferson was sleeping in their room.) into the bathroom to brush my teeth. So there I am leaning forward staring at my teeth and reflection in the mirror (don't you stare at your teeth before you brush them?) when I start thinking about this whole loving your siblings thing. And the more I start thinking about it, I start thinking about Wyatt reading all by himself in our lonely little hallway, when Kate and I have a nice warm, inviting and clean (yes, I did finish cleaning it yesterday after I wrote my blog post) room to read in together.
Something seemed wrong with this... So, I stop staring at my teeth, and walk into the hallway and invite Wyatt to read with us. His eyes sorta sparkle for half a second, and then he looks at me and it like, "well, umm...". And so I go into my room and explain the situation to Kate, and then tell Wyatt Kate doesn't mind him coming and reading either. He half sticks his head in the door and then says, "Ok, what's the catch?"
WHAT KIND OF BIG SISTER AM I?? My very own little brother thinks there is a CATCH to reading in my room. Of course I know that the idea didn't pop into his head by chance... Someone must have set a trend that made him think that... (Though I can't imagine who that could possibly be.)
Anyway, I will be continuing to work on showing love to my brother specifically this week. I've come a long way, but I have a lot to learn...

Caroline Ann

No comments: