Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Numbers

The end of the year is always a good time to "count" your blessings, and as I started contemplating this concept, I decided to come up with some numbers for 2009.

To begin, one of my biggest "numbers" is nine. Including America (which would be Texas, California, Hawaii and Alaska) this year I went to a total of nine countries. America, Thailand, New Zealand, Japan, England, Italy, Tunisia, Malta and Greece. I still can't quite believe it. Plus Samoa and Guam, which aren't countries or states.
Amid those nine countries, I also slept in a total of 30 different beds! I think that may be a record for me, considering my family doesn't allow sleepovers. And those 30 different wonderful places and homes I was able to visit were all an incredible blessing, each in their own way.

Even more of a blessing than the countries I have been able to visit, have been the friends I have made. And for me, when it comes to friendship, I like the real thing. A shallow aquaintence based on the amount of fun people have with each other doesn't cut it. If I had to pick my top five I have made this year, it would be my sister, Ashlee, Rachael, Rosie and Hannah. :)
More this year than ever before I've been able to become friends with my sister, not just sisters who have to love each other no matter what. My prayer is that this upcoming year will really help solidify the relationship that we are building day by day.
Ashlee... You were an answer to prayer. It's that simple. I have learned so much from watching you, and have been so spiritually encouraged spending time with you. We didn't get to spend near as much time together as we would have wished, BUT, the sweet times we did have will forever be imprinted in my memory. :)
Rachael--I LOVE YOU! Though we've known each other before, living life with you in Hawaii was so amazing. I miss you so much, and look forward to spending time with you again, whenever God may grant me that much wanted wish. Thank you so much for loving me through the good bad and the ugly. I know you've seen it all.
Rosie!! Haha, how can I even begin to describe my friendship with you??? You are so much fun to be around, and so incredibly talented and optimistic. I know that if I acted more like you at times, our house would be more pleasent. =P I am so glad you are having such a marvelous time in D.C., I sure do miss you though! Feel free to hop across the pond. ;)
Last, but most certainly not least, Hannah! I am so glad that I got to see you again. And I really value the conversations we've been able to have, both on facebook and over the phone. I hope that we're able to spend more time talking once I get more settled into London. I'm sorry I'm always so busy! But I am so blessed to have you as a friend! Happy New Year, dear! :D

In 2009, I was also given a lot of wonderful experiences. And for these I can generally thank my mother! :) I learned how to sail, play tennis, french braid (Hey, I've failed at this for YEARS... though I still have a long way to go.) and... run... Running was more my father and best friend than my mother. She wouldn't do such a thing to me. lol. I dislike running to a great extent, but slowly and surely I'm getting better at it. Though I must say, I started running in Hawaii, where the weather was almost always perfect. Now I'm in London. I'll let you know how it goes...

Most importantly though this year, I've obtained four things: grace, peace, forgiveness and joy. All from my Savior of course. I will try my best to explain this, it's been something I've been contemplating this whole Christmas season, but it still isn't completely clear in my own mind... So bear with me.
I wish I could say that in 2009, I messed up the least I ever have. But naturally that would be lying, and would add yet another offence to my 2009 offense list. Thankfully, I don't actually have a list, since I'm forgiven for everything I've done. God's grace has continued to be so abundant and prevelant and visible in my life. And though I sin, and I do fall, I have a peace that I haven't had before. The reason for this I believe is because I'm not afraid of myself any longer. Because I know I can rely on my Savior and trust Him, no matter what. And that where I am weak, He is strong. And when I can't walk, He will carry me. Before I tried to resist temptation on my own, and I've found this year, often, I don't even have the strength to ask for help in my moments of weakness. So how could I expect to suceed? And yet somehow I did expect to, and thus became afraid when I found I couldn't. (An easy way to sum this up would be stupidity.) It seemed hopeless. And God has shown me this year, through a slow and continual process, that I am not alone, I do not need to be afraid, and that I can suceed in resisting temptation, because of Christ's strength, not my own.
And this knowledge and assurence has brought great joy into my heart and life.
God is good.

To conclude, I will say that I have made a New Years Resolution this year. I haven't really ever made one before... And this year, I am going to read through the bible completely.
I have read the whole bible, but not in one year, on a consistent, daily basis of being in the word.
Like everything in my life, I know I am going to need the Lord's help. But I am so thankful that He is more than happy to extend it. :) I just need to ask.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year! May God do wonderful things in your life in 2010, just as I know He is waiting to do in mine!

Caroline Ann

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, as far as the running goes, you're very welcome =P =)
And I keep forgetting to tell you this, but as of Christmas, I have read through the whole Bible in 6 months. One of the best things I've ever done. Of course, there was no theory or method to it, except the "bulk" reading, which I have talked about.